Montreal Movie Theatre
March 7 1930
The Monkland opens, closed and gutted in March 1985.
March 28 1930
United Theatres opens the Granada at 4353 Ste Catherine Est.
* 1976 The Granada is closed.
* October 14 1977 Reopens as Theatre Denise-Pelletier.
December 24 1931
Confederated Amusements Opens the Chateau at 6956 St Denis at Belanger.
* 1940's Switched to French double bills.
* about 1950 The Canopy is replaced.
* 1976 It is twinned.
* 1982 The Chateau is closed.
United Theatres opens the Snowdon on Decarie near Queen Mary.
* 1968 Switches to X-rated movies
* 1972 Shows Charlie Caplin movies for about
* 1982 Closed, now stores.
February 26 1938
Confederated Amusements Opens the Savoy in Verdun. It closes in 1973.
November 18 1938
United Theatres opens the York at 1487 Ste. Catherine West near Guy,
it closes in 1987
Perron (Superior Theatres then Odeon)
Stella (C. Auclair)
Beaubien (Superior Theatres then Odeon)
5th Avenue in Verdun (Standard Amusements)
Gone With The Wind opens at the Loews
The Kent is opened on Sherbrooke at Hingston.
* 1950 apx. Sold to United Theatres.
* 1980 Split into two cinemas.
* 1987 landlord fails to renew lease to Famous
Players, it closes.
on the logo for the full ad
Villeray (Part of Odeon)
Newsreel (Was Cinema de Paris.)
Victory from Newsreel
Victory to Cinema de Paris.
Normandie in Ville St Laurent (United Theatres), Ahunstic (United Theatres)
Bijou (France-Film), Avenue (United Theatres), Cremazie (Odeon)
Ritz, Mericer (Odeon)
Lasalle, Centre, Vogue, Avon (United Theatres), National, Empire, Champlain
Commodore in Cartierville closes in 1993 now a video store., La Scala,
Van Horne (United Theatres)
Gesu, Radio City, Alouette, Riviera
The Palace shows the first wide-screen movie.
Cinerama Arrives at the Imperial.
here for the full ad
Melody, Lucerne (United Theatres)
Fairyland, Canada, Maisonneuve, Normandie, Lasalle (Reopen later as
one of the "La Quebecois" Theatres
Piagalle on St Catherine east.
Cartier, Centre, Vogue, Lido, Radio City
The Belmont is demolished.
Confederated Amusements is taken over by United Theatres.
The Capri Theatre is opened,
* 1974 Vincenzo Guzzo buys it and renames it
* 1976 It is split into 3 cinemas.
Cinema de Paris
Quebec's first twin theares opens, the Elyssee 2
Closings: Century and the Fifth Avenue.
April 13 1962
United Theatre Opens the Dorval Theatres twin.
* 1977 A third screen is added
* 1986 Renovated and a forth screen is added.
* January 2000 The Dorval is closed.
* Reopens June 2001
Place-Ville-Marie 2 (Townart-Famous Players)
Closings: Regent, Empress, Stella,
Cinema History Home|